Sunday, August 30, 2009

A hardworking TVC



I first saw this ad a few weeks ago and flagged it to blog about... unfortunately time got away from me and its not so new anymore.  Nevertheless, my thoughts about it are still relevant.

As a Communications Strategist I am often briefed on developing campaigns that will cut-through the clutter.  I am always slightly amused when tasked with this objective, as almost every brief I have ever addressed has asked for cut-through.  How can I keep recommending tactics to cut-through when everybody's doing it?  This issue of cut-through is what struck me about the Daylesford "Live a double life" campaign.  It completes its task very well.

What I like about the ad is that the sheer nature of it makes you stop and pay attention.  I actually thought I had missed the start of a movie when I saw it come on.  

It is well shot; and may be easily mistaken for a movie. This is a nice relief for the viewer overwhelmed by the plethora of TVC's that pound them over the head with a message about 50% off and an extra fries with the purchase of every bbq chicken wing.

It is well cast; with the use of a celebrity that people know, but don't know too well.  Isabelle Lucas purveys a sense of intrigue that could not be achieved by using an overexposed sportsperson who may hold similar brand values as the product but leave little to the imagination when it comes to their personality.

It has an original soundtrack; that is haunting to the point of recognition.  Its originality creates an immediate link with the visual content and thus allows for non-visual extensions of the ad.

It is provocative; which means the advertiser is reaping a whole heap of free promotion through organic word-of mouth activity.  When people like the ad r not, it is doing a good job of putting little-known Daylesford on the map. 

"Lead a double life" is a great example of how TV can still be used to grab the attention of a mass audience.

2 comments:

Chris said...

hiya, nice post, what did you mean by "non visual extensions of the ad"

LJ said...

Thanks Chris.
By non-visual I mean that the richness of the ad lends itself to extension outside of its orgianl form.
For example, the music is quite distinctive so on radio, would cut through the consistent 'yelling' of other ads.
In a experiential sense, the visual of Isabelle stuffing her face with berries is indulgent enough to create a connection between sampling of berry compote and the TVC.
I know Tourism Vic also emplyed digital for this ad (and I would assume cinema otherwsie they're missing a trick) but I think the richness of its content justifies literally being brought to life via other channels.