Thursday, September 3, 2009

Experiential proof for advocating advocacy

I have long been an advocate of employing influencers both on and offline to help promote your cause.

Typically I am recommending the use of influencers for my client's commercial needs but I have also seen successful use of influencers for less commercially orientated purposes.

This morning on my way to work I was checking Twitter on my phone and couldn't understand why overnight I had picked up 30 new followers. These aren't followers of the spam-esque type but people who are interested in the same things as me and also who I've never had previous contact with. It struck me as a bit strange until I sat down at my computer and had a better look at why this had happened.

It appears that my friend Mark Pollard had tweeted about my recent blog post.

Not only is this flattering as Mark is someone that I admire but it is also experiential proof that my advocacy for employing influencers is warranted. Mark is obviously an influencer in the communications strategy space and due to his promotion of my blog, my profile in the same circle has suddenly risen.

Now I need to think like I do for my clients and understand how best to harness this opportunity!

No comments: